Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Vieng Viang -- Vientiane -- Pakse

Vang Vieng is a scenic little riverside vilalge turned into a non-stop backpacker party with wet 20-something Westernes in bikinis and swinnimg shorts. A heaven if you miss Thailand or want to get hammered--a rather odd place to be when you are looking to go trekking and see hill tribe villages.. Arriving there on Wednesday evening, I had already aquainted Swiss Sabina on the bus from Luang Prabang before I found Duch Susan in a random street. Together we spent Thursday exploring the surrounding rice fields, caves, local villages and roads around Vang Vieng--lovely! The village is also surrounded by small rivers and karst rocks; and it is amazingly beautiful. Going for 6 km on bikes, we were ready for a swin when we reached the Lagoon cave. After stopping for a lovely local lunch where they stressed that "this is Lao PDR--please don't rush" two hours had passed and the rest of the caves were missed out on as we peddaled home for a well-deserved beer. As sabina and Susan left the next morning, I rented a rubber tube to float down the river with Darren (UK)--apart from a rather deep cut in a minor toe, the trip was great fun! Vang Vieng is not really what I wanted in the long run though, so this morning I caught a bus to Vientiane, planning to head on to Pakse tomorrow. Unfortunately my small camera was stolen as i arrived here, but the big one is still with me! Internet connections (known as internert where I am right now) are painfully slow, or they think all my pics are .exe-files--so it seems photos will have to wait yet again.. Sorry! (I have plenty of great ones, though.)

No comments: