Friday, October 31, 2008

Ko Chang

Ko Chang is a small island in the southern gulf of Thailand, a former national park,with plenty of opportunities for trekking, beaching, and generally enjoying jungle and rainforest. I had great plans for my days on Ko Chang! And the island is still all that--but as I have been eating antibiotics and painkillers in massive amounts the past few days I am not really my normal energetic self, and so most of my fun plans were suspended, replaced by a desire to spend a week in a hammoc, reading, recouperating, doing nothing, alone. However, catching a bus down here I befriended the Aussi woman in the seat next to me, Kim, and arriving at Lonely Beach we both found small bungalows by the water and agreed to go for dinner. Very randomly, so had Susan and Darren, two people I aquainted in Vieng Viang, decided to do--and so my original plans of recouperating in silence with my book have been replaced with wonderful company, fascinating discussions, general chit-chat and only a little bit of reading. Most of this, fortunately, done on a beach while tanning nicely. I haven't really seen any other bits of the island than Lonely beach, which is a strip of some 500 m of sand, five restaurants, endless amounts of bungalows, quite a few internet shops and general vendors, plenty of palms and a lovely beach. But I've had a good time, and I feel better. Tomorrow I head back to Bangkok where I should be able to upload photos before I figure out how to get to Siem Reap and Cambodia shortly after that.

No comments: