Monday, September 15, 2008

What to drink in China?

China offers a range of more or less new and exciting beverages. So far I have tried every new one I could find, and here are the ratings:

Almond milk was the firs new aquaintance--with a somewhat fake taste it still had the classic "nut milk" feel and went down quite well with noodles; 4/6.

The coconut milk was as delicious as expected, with a good mix of actual coconut stuff and milk, with a lovely nutty flavour--an absolute favourite so far! 5/6.

Walnut milk is a more unusual version, but it had to be tried. After long consideration I realised that it tasts much like the shrimp chips you get in Asian restaurants. The only good quality beeing its nutty milk texture, it gets a 1/6 and is rendered rather undrinkable (although I had to finish the can to be sure of it).

Chinese chocolate milk is not really new, but a local version of a classic, an easy going 4/6, albeit a little sweet and with too much fake vanilla.

Various versions of iced green tea have however made it to an all-time favourite position--particularly the iced green tea with jasmine--and I wish Wetern iced tea producers would learn from the Chinese (although they are a little heavy on the sugar here as well..); 5/6.

Not really a drink, I managed to buy an ice cream made from iced green tea with dates and some sort of frozen nutty-milk cover today, and although it was nothing like ice cream is supposed to be, it was delicious! A good 5/6 for a cooling snack (although this might change if it turns out the water was polluted and I get sick..)

3 comments:

Piraya said...

My personal favourite; Coffee-Tea-Milk. Seriously. Coffee-tea-Milk. It tastes like shit, you get really nauseous from it, and it has a sickly brown tea-ish colour. Just keep to starbucks if you want coffee....

Anonymous said...

Coffee in China is crap, except for Yunnan coffee, which is great.

Tiril said...

Thanks for the tips--I`ll make sure to check out the coffee when I am actually in Yunnan ;) And I`ll probably avoid the coffee-tea-milk..